Thursday, November 11, 2010

Have You Thanked a Vet Today?

Happy Veterans Day and a huge thank you to all those who have served or are currently serving our country in any branch of service.

My favorite vet...my dad...served 20 years in the Navy. He enlisted in 1968 right after high school. He was a submariner. In fact, he was on a submarine on patrol when I was born. We didn't get to meet until I was about 3 months old.

What a handsome guy! He was about 27 or 28 in this picture.

Being a military "brat" gave my sister Shea and I (Mallory didn't come along until I was 13 and my dad retired 4 years later so she didn't move around like we did) many opportunities that we otherwise probably would not have had. We lived in Charleston quite a bit but also were stationed in Great Lakes, IL (fun for snow), Kittery, Maine (More fun for snow and it was pretty), and Honolulu for 3 1/2 years (AWESOME!). When we left Maine to move to Hawaii we drove cross country and got to see and experience so much. Shea and I still talk about that trip :)

This was before he went out to sea...

Being a military family isn't always easy. I remember my dad going out to sea and how much we missed him. We didn't realize at the time though how hard it was on my parents. Back then we didn't have the internet for Skype so we really didn't get to "see" my dad at all until he came home. My mom, practically a kid herself (she had me when she was 20 and Shea when she was 23), was basically a single mom.

So, to those serving in the military and to those that have served...from the bottom of my heart I thank you.

This was at his commissioning ceremony in Hawaii...
He's an Officer AND a Gentleman :)
To those spouses that have "served" (or still are serving)...from the bottom of my heart I thank you for the support and sacrifices you have made to our country.

Saying goodbye to the Navy after 20 years...
They walked it together...
To the children...thank you so much for allowing your mom or dad to give their time away from you to make sure our country stays safe and free.

Happy Veterans Day!

4 comments:

Shea Bradford said...

LOVE this post!! Made me cry...

Kmama said...

Great post. One of my brothers was in the Navy and I don't know how he went away for those 6 month cruises. I don't think I could ever be married to a military man.

Lifeofkaylen said...

VERY sweet!!
I love that last line: They walked it together.
My sister is a military husband, and though she is married, we shared certain single mom qualities (though I argued that a true single mom knows many other pains that she would never know, like not having another adult to share the stress and joys of parenting).
It is just so hard to have your spouse leave you for great periods of time. I almost feel like the spouses should also get hazard pay, for having to parent alone!! You would get more hazard pay if you have a 2 yr old or any age teenager.

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

Very beautiful post! My uncle and several grandpas served our country and I appreciate all they do.