Monday, February 14, 2011

Teeth

Abby's tooth drama has continued. The poor kid ended up needing 2 teeth repaired (back molars chipped), what we thought would be a simple filling in another bottom molar which actually ended up being a "minor" root canal...(I know, how can a root canal be minor"), the spacer put back in that had to be removed a few months ago, AND one of her front top teeth pulled because it was dead!

She had 2 fillings in the tooth but they were in the sides of the tooth and couldn't be seen because they are so crowded in there. Apparently one of the fillings had come out and the tooth went kaput!

So to recap...since October of 2009 she has had...

8 fillings

3 root canals

2 teeth pulled

3 spacers (the one she had put back in right before Christmas actually broke! Her dentist said he'd never seen a kid break a spacer in that spot before in over 12 years of dentistry...yes, Abby strives to be unique!)

Yes, I take her for regular cleanings/checkups...

Yes, her dentist told us at her first checkup that we should definitely expect to be paying for braces in the future...

Yes, she brushes everyday AND flosses AND we use a special toothpaste.

Yes, she is my child and has inherited my bad teeth...

Yes, I am my father's child and got them from him ;p MY dentist even says that (he's my parent's dentist too!)

I had to have 2 root canals and 2 crowns last year. My second root canal was in a tooth that was an anchor for my bridge. The tooth was so damaged that the bridge came off a few weeks later (on it's own). After some tricky and very clever work by my awesome dentist I didn't have to lose the tooth and now have a crown!

My parents already paid for braces for me...YEARS ago! I guess this is payback time :)

I just realized..February is Dental Health Month...

GO GET YOUR TEETH CLEANED PEOPLE!!!!!

4 comments:

The Iowa Farmer's Wife said...

Holy cow! You poor things! That's a lot of dental work! And new tires are a great gift if you ask me!

Samual said...

Wonderful Blog. Gargling with salt water at home is one other tonsil stones treatment that can work nevertheless it has to be completed regularly in order for the stones to work their way out of the tonsils. This will additionally soothe inflamed and swollen tonsils.

Kmama said...

Oh wow. I can't even begin to imagine your dental bills! Poor Abby (and poor you too!).

Jessica said...

I hate to hear about all Abby's dental work! Yours too for that matter! Blessings to you all.

Jessica