Thursday, January 14, 2010

Ruby's Birth Story...

Here it is...

On Friday the 11th I had an appointment and there really hadn't been any change from the previous week. I was still about 3 cm and was bummed that I actually had to schedule another appointment for the following Friday. That night I had a few contractions but nothing to get excited about.

Saturday night (the 12th) I figured I needed to get my rear* in gear and wrap some Christmas presents. I had started having contractions about the time we got the kids in bed and I started writing them down just in case. I was surprised after a couple of hours when I looked and realized they were averaging about 10minutes apart. They kept coming and so I kept wrapping presents thinking I might be heading to the hospital soon. Of course, I didn't mention the contractions to John until about 11:15ish that night because I knew it would just start freaking him out and he would be asking me about every 5 minutes what I thought we needed to do... I was right, when I did tell him he started asking me what to do and I told him I was going to try to go to sleep to see if they went away or not. They did slow way down and I only had a handful during the night.


The morning of the 13th the contractions came back at about quarter till 8. John wanted to take Abby to church with him (I can't remember why it was just her). I told him to make sure he had his phone in his pocket in case I needed him (the contractions were about 8-10 minutes apart). I could tell he wasn't sure if he should go or not and I'm actually surprised he walked out the door but I told him it was fine.

After he had been gone about 20 minutes he called and said he had a feeling he shouldn't go. By this time the contractions were getting stronger although still about 8 minutes apart and I told him to go ahead and come home. He kept bugging me to call my parents and calling the doctor. I did call the dr. and told her the contractions were getting stronger but they were still going back and forth between 7-8 minutes apart. She asked if I thought it was labor and I just told her that it felt the same way it did when I had Abby and Lucy. I also told her I'd feel better if I went to the hospital and at least got checked...to be safe and for John's peace of mind :)

We called our neighbor to come and stay with the kids until my mom or dad could come and get them and John and I headed off to the hospital around 12:30ish. We had to check in at the Emergency Room since it was a weekend and by that time my contractions were coming 5 minutes apart. I was wheeled to the Labor and Delivery room and got in the gown and in the bed. The nurse was noticeably relieved to see I was having the baby right then. She came in the room saying she was expecting a tornado (I guess my doctor had passed on my history of fast labors to the nurses). My doctor came in at about 1:15 and checked my and I was at 4 cm.

I had bravely made a decision during my pregnancy that I was going to forgo an epidural. The moment my dr. told me I was only at 4cm I asked if I could have one. Forget bravery...I had already had 2 babies without pain medication...I knew I COULD do it so I didn't need to prove it one more time :) The dr. told me if I wanted it to get it ASAP otherwise with my history it might be too late. I told her to bring it on!

The nurse kept trying to ask me all the admission questions and I had to keep stopping to breathe through the contractions. After a while she noticed things were moving along pretty fast so she stopped asking questions and went to get the anesthesiologist to tell him to light a fire under his feet. She came back in and said he would be there in one minute and that he had said something like "let's rock and roll" (yes, my dr. had passed the word around about my deliveries). I had mentioned to John at some point that I thought Ruby would be born by 3:00pm.

Dr. Epidural (I can't remember his real name) came in about 2pm. He tried to explain ever detail of the procedure (even though I've had it done twice before even if it only worked once). John was getting a little queasy from the lecture and I couldn't hear most of it through the pain of the contractions and the heavy breathing I was doing. He quickly decided I knew enough and got started. It was in by 2:15 and he was kind enough to stay in the room to make sure the dose was right (I told him about my failed epidural with Lucy). By 2:30 I was feeling good and thinking I might be able to catch a nap now.

My dr. came in at 2:35 to check me and I was at 9 - 9 1/2 cm and the bag of waters was bulging. Ruby was going to make her entrance in the next 10-15 minutes...no nap for me (my normal)! John called my mom who was on her way to the hospital after taking the kids back to her house and leaving them with my dad and told her she had better hurry!

The dr. did what she needed to do first then came in and broke my water. They had enough time to break down the bed and on my first contraction (which they had to tell me I was having) I started pushing. I pushed 2 times during that first contraction and Miss Ruby Anderson Bailey made a loud squirming entrance into the world at 2:53pm (a mere 23 minutes from the time the epidural took effect). I broke my previous record of 3 pushes!


No problem with this little girl's lungs...whew!

Ruby weighed 7 pounds 14 ounces and was 20 inches long. As soon as she came out she was screaming and had her bottom lip poked out in a huge pout. The nurse told John that he was in big trouble! She looked (and still does) so much like Lucy.



"Hey, I'm a little cold over here...can I get a blanket?"

John and I finally realized we did not get any lunch so he walked over to Arby's to get us something. He did such a good job during the labor even though I know seeing me in pain like that and not being able to make it better had him worried. I was singing his praises until, as he was giving me my food from Arby's, he put his foot in his mouth (on purpose and teasingly) and said, "So, are you going back to Weight Watchers tomorrow"! If I hadn't been so hungry I might have thrown the food at him :)

I am not one of those women who looks all done up and glowing after childbirth...I'm swollen and tired and just bleck...not my fault but I apologize anyway :)

John went with Ruby and the nurse to give Ruby a bath and she stayed down there to get warmed up while John and I hung out in the room for awhile until I had enough feeling in my legs to get up and move around then we were moved to a regular room.



Daddy and his third girl...I'd say he's toast!

John had to work on Monday so my mom brought Max, Abby, and Lucy to the hospital after lunch to meet their new baby sister. Max and Abby were all over Ruby but it took Lucy a little while to warm up to her...when she finally got to sit on my bed and hold her :)

Our Crew of Four! Here we go...

Yes, I know it is a long story but I wanted to get it all down so I could remember it. Imagine how much longer it would have been if I didn't have such quick and easy labor and deliveries. My dr. and the nurse kept telling me since I had the whole thing down to a science I should have at least one more...

...nope!


3 comments:

*Jess* said...

What a wonderful birth!! Welcome to the world, baby Ruby!

Kmama said...

What a great birth story!! It sounds like you were meant to be in labor! Me? Notsomuch. I have terribly long, drawn out labors with c-sections in the end.

Welcome little Ruby. you are adorable!

dani said...

my labor was really quick, too. hope my fortune holds out for future babies like yours has!

congrats on your sweet girl. and i just love the name ruby!