Thursday, April 8, 2010

Itchy, Itchy Baby :(

This is an older picture. SInce switching to a different internet security provider my computer doesn't want to recognize my camera and I haven't been able to download pics! UGH!

Okay, after a wonderful trip to Charlestowne Landing today with my friend/college roommate and her two kids and a trip to Chick-fil-a for lunch, I broke down and called the pediatrician again for Ruby.



I kept an eye on her rash all day and I noticed that she was scratching behind her ears more. When I took a look I almost burst into tears for her. The skin behind her ears was raw and it looked like blisters had popped (I hadn't noticed any of that this morning before we left the house). I could tell she was becoming more and more miserable and her neck was covered in the rash and the crease of her neck looked like the back of ears!

We got an appointment for 4:30 this afternoon. As we were walking into the room the Dr. was just coming out of his office and jokingly asked if I was getting tired of seeing him yet...I told him I was about to ask him the same question!



He looked her over and the med student that was working with him today also checked her out. The Dr. felt it was time to step it up a notch and giver her a stronger steroidal cream. He basically said she has atopic dermatitis AND seborrheic dermatitis. I have to lightly apply the steroid cream 3 times a day from her neck down. Then I have to use Lotrimin in her diaper area and in the crease of her neck 2 times a day and hydrocortisone on the other areas 3 times a day. I aksed him if he could write all this on her body with a sharpie so I wouldn 't forget (I was only joking of course!).



I asked him if this could a milk allergy and he said we would do the skin care (creams/ointments) AND the Nutramigen formula together to get rid of the current rash. Once it is under control we will discontinue the skin care and see how it goes. If the rash stays away then we'll put her back on regular formula. If the rash comes back then we'll know it was a milk allergy. If it doesn't then I guess I just have a strange kid (HA...my words not his). If the ointments/creams don't work to start with then he wants to bring in a dermatologist to help. I pray that it doesn't come to that. If things are inconclusive or if we do find out it's a milk allergy then I'll be taking her to an allergist (the Dr. didn't suggest it but it's what I'll do anyway).



Okay, the kicker??? Ruby H.A.T.E.S. the Nutramigen! UGH!!!!!!!! I gave her the first bottle of it this afternoon and she took about 4 swallows then pushed the bottle out of her mouth. I kept trying and she would look at me as if to say, "What's this cra* you're trying to feed me?" and push the bottle out or put the nipple on the side of her mouth and chew on it while grinning at me saying "You're one crazy mama if you think I'm drinking this stuff!"



The can says that it doesn't smell or taste like regular formula so I'm sure she caught on pretty quick. The nurse at the Dr.'s office gave me a sample of Similac's Alimentum formula to try and it says that it has the milk protein but broken down into "tiny" particles that make it better for babies who develop allergies to cow's milk protein. I might try that in the morning with her. What did I do tonight when she wouldn't take the Nutramigen?



I nursed her. Yes, I know it doesn't help if she has a milk allergy but she was miserable and wasn't going to sleep without eating. I didn't have any regular or soy formula left (and I figured if I was going to do that then breastmilk would be better anyway) and I didn't want to throw that other formula at her while she was already ticked off!



Also, she was scratching a lot tonight so I went ahead and gave her the 1/4 teaspoon of Benadryl that the Dr. told me I could give her if I thought she needed it. I hope it works for her so she'll stop scratching and so she can get some itch free sleep!

Sorry if this is a lot but I want to document it so I can remember what I've done/tried. Also, if anyone else has had similar experiences they can see what I've tried and maybe give me more ideas to help my sweet little Ruby. Thanks for the advice that was given on my last post :)



1 comment:

Kmama said...

Poor, poor baby. I hope she's feeling better soon.