Tuesday, February 2, 2010

At Peace

Very early this morning, at 4:20am, my sweet Aunt Mary Jo passed away. She was my dad's oldest sister and the oldest child of seven. She was also known as Sister Geraldine (she was a catholic nun).

She lost her battle with cancer.

She found out last June that it was in her lungs but it was secondary cancer. The doctors looked but couldn't find the primary cancer.

I wish they would have looked at her brain.

The tumor was discovered about 2 weeks ago. The doctors said she wasn't strong enough for radiation but she asked them to try anyway. She got one treatment last week and then her organs started to shut down.

The "sisters" took her home to the convent to take care of her and make her comfortable. The convent is a short couple of miles down the road in the same town as her first home...the farm where she and my dad and their other siblings were born and raised.

She went back to her childhood home to go to her forever home.

Aunt Mary Jo, Sister Geraldine, daughter, sister, dedicated to the Lord, aunt, teacher, musician, family geneaologist, the best salsa maker EVER, maker of beautiful afghans and Christmas ornaments and the family cookbook. She was all those things and more.

I love you so much Aunt Mary Jo and I will always remember your infectious laugh and your wonderful hugs.

You will be missed.

P.S. Give Grandma and Grandpa a great big hug and kiss for us. I know they were waiting for you.

4 comments:

*Jess* said...

I am so sorry for your family's loss. I know she will be loved and missed.

Kmama said...

I'm so sorry. May Aunt Mary Jo rest in peace!

Anonymous said...

So sorry for your family's loss.

Staci said...

So sorry. You wrote a wonderful remembrance of her.