Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Oh That Little Lucy...

Now really...can YOU stay mad at a face like this?

This little girl DEFINITELY keeps us on our toes! She is 2 going on 32 and thinks she knows EVERYTHING...

Lucy holds a special place in our family. She isn't the oldest or the only boy like Max, she isn't the oldest girl like Abby, and she isn't the baby (thanks to Ruby!) Even though she isn't technically the "middle child" she has her own "I'm the third child-middle sister" syndrome going on :)

Sisters...
Of course it would be the first child that actually looks anything like me to be the definition of STUBBORN (I would say no connection there but my husband and parents and sisters would probably disagree).

We are currently on Day 3 of potty training and she has actually only peed on the potty one time...on the first day...when Abby took her! It has been a battle of wills with lots of screaming and crying and yelling (on her part). I have tried to keep my wits about me and not give in to her but I am about ready to "tank" it (no toilet pun intended...haha!) and try again in a month.

I don't think I'll hire her to babysit any time soon!


Having a conversation with Lucy is a lot like having a conversation with a "big kid". She has always been very clear in her speech and has a HUGE vocabulary. About the time "the books" say she should be able to speak in short sentences she was singing songs and carrying on conversations with us (and we could understand her). She also CRACKS ME UP with some of the things that come out of her mouth!

I was fussing at her the other night for getting out of her bed for the thousandth time. I was about at the end of my rope when I put her back in bed and told her to "stay in bed". She stood up in her bed, gave me a look (you know the look I'm talking about) and said, "You're not the boss of me". I told her that I was, in fact, the boss of her. She said, "oh no you're not" and continued dancing to the music. I had to step out of the room before she could see the huge smile and laugh about to bust out of me.

She is also fond of saying, "This is taking forever mom", "I can do it myself", "Can I have breakfast?" and the list goes on...

Lucy is also quite good at spelling (takes after her mommy don'tcha know!) She has learned to spell her name and the names of most of the members of her family (she might need a one letter prompt from time to time).

Here is a short video of Lucy spelling some names and doing the trick she is most known for around here...rolling her eyes. I have never seen such a little kid so good at this but she has been doing it for awhile and makes us laugh with it. If you ask her a question that she thinks is silly you might see her do this...

Make sure you scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the pause button on the music so you can hear the video.

She has a temper like dynamite! WOW! This kid can be all cheesy smiles and snuggles and kisses then something will happen (or she won't get her way) that sets her off and WATCH OUT!!!!! I know it's bad for me to laugh (and I never do when I'm around the kids) but whenever she gets mad, it doesn't matter who did what to her or if she is just in a rotten mood, the person she takes it out on??? Her big sister Abby! I will tell Lucy no and she gets mad then she'll hunt down Abby, wherever she is in the house, and smack her! Poor Abby doesn't even know what happened and she still gets it. Of course if she wouldn't scream and cry and give Lucy the satisfaction then she wouldn't be targeted so much...but how do you get a dramatic 4 year old to understand that?


Lucy with the one who elevated her to "Big Sister" status :)

Lucy loves to play with her baby dolls. She does love her baby sister as well and asks to hold her. I do think she is more jealous about the new baby than Max or Abby was when they became an older sibling for the first time. Fortunately, she doesn't take it out on Ruby!

Lucy also LOVES to snack! She is not the best eater unless it is a snack. DO NOT TRUST THIS CHILD around a bag of chips! She does like strawberries though and we recently went to pick our own strawberries. She kept telling us only to pick the red ones yet just about every time she picked a red one she came up with a tiny green one too.


Strawberry pickin'

Believe it or not she DID actually get some in her mouth too :)

The past couple of nights Lucy has decided to "put on her lipstick" AFTER her bath. I keep thinking Abby's princess lip gloss is put away where Lucy can't reach it but...alas...Abby doesn't put it away when she's done with it. I think Lucy might have a future as a makeup artist...what do you think?


"Come on Daddy...gimme a kiss!"

Lucy is all about taking her daily vitamin. As soon as either John or I walks into the kitchen in the morning she walks straight in and demands (here's the stubborn) her vitamin. She doesn't want to wait until we get the coffee started or get breakfast started...she NEEDS it NOW!!!!! The I have to empty the bottle into my hand so she can peruse the inventory and pick just the right one for that day. We are currently down to about 10 in the bottle and they are all the same color and the same character but she still has to look at all of them before choosing...UGH!

Lucy is excited about starting preschool in the fall. Two days a week...I hope her teachers can handle her for that long :) However, since her birthday is September 16th she'll have to be in the two year old class even though she'll be turning 3 two weeks after school starts.

Seriously though, as crazy as she makes us sometimes...she is a treasure. She can have the worst day possible then I will be laying down with her at night or she'll just randomly walk up to me and look me in the eye and say, "Mommy, you know what?" I say, "What Lucy?". She'll say, "I have God and Jesus in my heart!" and mine melts... In that moment, all the bad stuff is forgotten and I am reminded how truly blessed I am to have this child (as well as her siblings) in my life.

With that one sentence from my sweet goofy blond headed blue eyed baby girl, God is reminding me that it's all worth it...



1 comment:

Kmama said...

She is so adorable. How can you get mad at her? LOL