Monday, September 21, 2009

Ears, Noses, Teeth, 2 years, and Baby...Updates...

Bet I got you scratchin' your head in confusion with that title, didn't I? :) What do all those things have in common you ask? They are things that members of our household have been to the doctor for recently...or will be going for.

EARS and NOSE ~ Max had his 6 month checkup with his ENT today to see how his tubes are doing. As I had begun to suspect...the tube in his right ear is completely out and his ear has already filled with fluid (which explains me having to raise my voice and repeat myself umpteen times to get his attention). The tube in the left ear is still in but looks like it is starting to work itself out as well. Will Max have to get a 5th set of tubes? We don't know. The Dr. wants to take a "wait and see" approach to see what the left ear will do when that tube comes out and also to see if the fluid in the right ear will go away on it's own. Not likely if you ask me since it hasn't done that the last 3 times. He has to go back in December for another checkup or sooner if we notice his hearing going downhill again.
*** I also asked the Dr. about Max's nose because he has had numerous nosebleeds lately. Now, being 6 and being a boy, yes, he does put his finger in his nose and we have done everything we could think of to get him to stop. Seriously though, having been a first grade teacher for several years and looking out at a sea of sweet young faces at story time and finding at least two or three of those with fingers digging around in their noses (some of them even hiding it behind their hands...as if) I know that it is common at this age. However, John and I have talked and fussed and explained until we are blue in the face and he kept having nosebleeds. Lately when he has had them he has even sworn up and down that he didn't even touch his nose...we didn't really believe him...NOW I FEEL GUILTY! The Dr. said he has two VERY prominent blood vessels in his nose that are very close to the surface and probably starts bleeding just if he rubs his nose with his hand or when he turns his head into his pillow in his sleep...UGH! He recommended Vaseline in the nose morning and night, a humidifier in his room, and saline nose drops, all to keep the nostrils moist. Poor baby!

TEETH ~ Abby's appointment for her extensive dental work is set for Oct. 7th. With the sedation and two root canals, crowns, and "minor" work to a couple of cavities, the process should take about 3-4 hours! YIKES!!!!! John can't take off work so I'll have to get a sitter for Lucy (thankfully Max will be in school). I don't know how she will react to the sedatives they give her or how long she'll be in a "sleepy state" afterwards. I have always taken a long time to snap out of it so if she takes after me she'll get some REALLY good sleep that day. Since I will be about 29 1/2 weeks along then I might have to ask someone there to carry her out to the car...hmmmmm...so what do I do with her when I get home and we are by ourselves? I'll have to rethink that :)

2 YEARS ~ Lucy goes for her 2 year well visit this Wednesday. I will post her stats (and do her birthday post) either Wednesday or Thursday.

BABY ~ I had a checkup last Friday. I have started rotating to the other doctors in the practice just so I can meet everyone just in case it will be one of them delivering me. My blood pressure was good at 120/70 (which, strangely enough, is a little high for me). Baby's heart rate was good and measuring right on time. The doctor asked me if I had any problems with my other pregnancies and I told her about my two hospital visits while pregnant with Lucy for preterm contractions. I also told her about my VERY QUICK deliveries with Abby and Lucy. She said they would take me seriously then when I call in with contractions! I told her even if they didn't, John would take me to the hospital anyway :) I have my next checkup on the 9th of October with another doctor in the practice.

Well, that's the whole long boring story. Don't you feel better now that you asked? What? You didn't...oh well :)







No comments: