Monday, December 21, 2009

How to Make a New Mom Feel Depressed...at Christmas no less!

Ruby and I headed to Wal-Mart yesterday to get some grocery shopping done. She stayed in her carseat in the cart and slept the whole time...ahhhhhhh peace :)

Anyway, as we were walking out of the store a lady stopped and saw Ruby and this is the brief (and depressing) conversation we had...

Lady: "What a beautiful baby. How old is she?"

Me: "Thank you. She's a week old today."

Lady: "Are you grandma?"

***SPLAT*** (that was my self-esteem hitting the floor)

Me: "Excuse me?"

Lady: "Oh, is she yours?" (She sounded somwhat surprised at the possibility)

Me: (Having a tough time keeping myself from ramming my cart into her kneecaps) "Yes, she's mine."

Lady: "Oh, well she is a cute one" (Lady walks off)

THAT ladies and gentlemen is how to make a mom of a week old baby feel mighty depressed about how she looks! Forget losing the baby weight...apparently I need to look into a facelift or something first.

I have to admit that when I came home and told John about it I cried (blamed it on the hormones). I'm pretty sure my mom cried when I told her about it...I mean when you laugh really hard at something don't you usually shed some tears?

I told Ruby on the way out to the car that I guess Mommy has a lot more work to do on herself than she thought!

4 comments:

*Jess* said...

oh no!!! I am so sorry!! I am sure that lady was just clueless and you look NOTHING like a grandma!

Kmama said...

Oh no. I'm so sorry!! There really are stupid people everywhere. Why would you even ask about it being yours or if you were the grandparent? Never in a million years will I understand that one...

Staci said...

No kidding, why would someone even ask the question? We ALL know you don't look like anyone's grandma!

Keena said...

Staci, that was horrid....I'm sure u dont look like a grandma. u r blessed to have 4 beautiful children