Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Out of the Mouth of Max...

Seven has been a bit of an adjustment for Max...and therefore for John and I as well. He has been moody(ier)?, and has developed a big case of attitude...which needs to be adjusted if you ask me :) Anyway, John and I have been sort of walking on pins and needles around him lately because he has also been extremely sensitive. If we tell him "no" for something he will break down into tears without hearing our explanation of why.

So last night we had compnay for dinner and after they left Max wanted to stay up later and see if anyone else was doing fireworks (New Years and 4th of July fireworks tend to be dragged out around here). We told him no because he had been up REALLY late the night before. I asked him 3 times to get upstairs and in the shower and he LOST IT!!!!!!!!!

It was very dramatic and I figured he was pretty ticked off at me. He got his shower and was dressed and when it was time for him to head off for bed he came and gave me a big hug...then he said something that brought ME to tears and reminded me that these moments make all the bad ones worth it.

He told me that I was the best mom.

I said something to the effect that I thought he was still mad at me.

He looked up at me (the boy is so tall he'll be able to look me straight on in a couple of years ;p )and said, "Mom, every second of my life you will be the best mom in the world".

Yeah...I cried...the little turkey.

Then later I was sitting on his bed talking to him and I told him I had to go fold some laundry. I asked him when he gets older if he would design and build a clothes dryer that would dry AND fold the laundry for you. He had a "better" idea...

He said, "Hey mom, instead of that we could do that thing, you know the old fashioned thing with the clothes pins and the rope?"

Uh, excuse me kid? It's called a clothesline and now I FEEL old fashioned :)

He was even talking about the kind that you see on tv that are on the pulley system between apartment buildings! Then he realized it wouldn't work if you didn't have windows in the right place.

Sometimes this kid just stumps me with the ideas he gets in his head.

Max and Nana (my mom) next to a hay bale at my Grandpa's farm in Indiana.

3 comments:

Kmama said...

Aww, and now I'm totally crying too!!

*Jess* said...

I would have cried, too!!

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

He sounds a lot like Elijah. What a sweetheart though!