Thursday, July 1, 2010

Dermatologist Update...

Well, we had our visit to the dermatologist for Ruby the other day. She agreed with the pediatrician's diagnosis of atopic dermatitis (eczema)...ummmm...okay...I didn't think she wouldn't...

Anyway, we have a laundry list of things to do for our itchy girl...one of which is laundry...lots and lots of laundry (as if I don't need mountain climbing gear to get to the top of my laundry pile already)...

I have to switch her detergent to Dreft (we had been using All Free and Clear but they said that wasn't good enough for her). I have to wash ALL of her stuff in Dreft and rinse it twice (there goes the water bill!).

She has to have not 1 but 2 - 20 minute soak baths a day. Within 3 minutes of getting out of the bath I have to apply one prescription cream to any rash on her face and in her folds. I have to apply a different prescription ointment to any rash any where else. Then we have to cover her in a thick cream. Once the rashes clear up we can start backing off the prescription creams and go down to one bath a day. I'm also only supposed to wash her face and diaper area with Dove Sensitive Skin soap and just use water on the rest for now.

I'll take Ruby back for a follow up in 3 months.

When we were in Indiana last week she had the hardest time with whatever allergies she has. After getting there on Saturday we all headed out to my Grandpa Hedinger's farm and within 10 minutes of getting there her eyes were red and puffy and watery and her face, neck, and legs were all rashy. Poor thing :(

On a different note...


Yesterday I gave Ruby her first taste of actual, real food (besides rice cereal/oatmeal). I gave her bananas. My other 3 LOVED them (although they don't eat them now...go figure) so I thought I'd give it a shot. Well, if the crying, thrashing, and spitting them out were any indication...I don't think she cared for them too much...hmmmmmm.



We tried again today and it was a little better...she may have actually swallowed some :) I think I'll try avocado next.



Here's a picture of Ruby today after lunch. I think she got more on her face and bib than in her belly. I'm not worried, she's one of my kids, she'll get the hang of eating REALLY fast :) If not there are people here who will eat it for her!



She looks like she's in shock doesn't she? :)




No comments: