Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Adventures in Teeth Cleaning!

All I can say is...I am glad THAT is over!

Yesterday Max, Lucy and Ruby had an appointment to get their teeth cleaned.  It was Lucy's 3rd or 4th time (they all kind of blur together) and Ruby's first appointment EVER!

Max did great and got a SUPER report from the dentist.  I was not able to be near Max during his cleaning though because I was busy on the other side of the room wrestling a screaming banshee consoling a terrified 3 year old on my lap.  She refused to lay on the table AGAIN...so I had to hold her in my lap and lay her backwards so her head was in the hygienist's lap.  I told the lady she must have drawn the short straw that morning because she ended up having to do Ruby's cleaning as well :P

Lucy also had to get her first set of x-rays done.  For this she was fine!  While we waited for the Dr. to come and check for himself the hygienist decided to go ahead and do Ruby.  It was everything I expected it to be.  B.A.D.! 

There were quite a few comments about how strong she is...this is while I was holding her hands down and trying to keep her from vaulting herself off the the head off the table.  She was moving so bad that the hygienist nicked her top gum with the scraper (I was wondering why they would use such a sharp instrument on a thrashing toddler but that's just me I guess).  While she was holding a piece of wet gauze on Ruby's top gum to stop the bleeding, the hygienist went ahead and brushed Ruby's teeth.  Let's just say that I am glad that this experience did not make her hate having her teeth brushed :)  She held on to her new toothbrush for the rest of the visit and only screamed one more time...when she had to lay back down for the dentist to look at her teeth.

The good news of Max's visit was met with the bad news that Lucy and Ruby BOTH have very crowded teeth just like their big sister Abby.  Lucy's x-ray showed that the two top teeth on either side of the front teeth are coming down rotated.  The dentist said that she still has time to grow but there isn't a lot of room in her mouth right now.  He said Ruby's look more crowded than Abby's...great. With the amount of $ we have already spent on Abby's mouth this was not what I wanted to hear.  I see lots of braces in our future...

I had grand plans to take a picture of Ruby at her very first dentist visit but it's hard to hold a camera...much less take a picture...when you are wrestling a very angry toddler...oh well.


3 comments:

Kmama said...

I am so grateful that both of my boys did excellent at their first dentist appointments. Poor Ruby!

Nathan Bedingfield said...

That was an awesome experience. Kids tend to be so afraid with the dentist, especially if it's their first time or they had a previous bad experience. I feel bad for Ruby and I hope this doesn't get her down. I have to give you credit though for you managed to survive the adventure! Congratulations!

Unknown said...

As you were explaining how your youngest daughters appointment went, I was thinking that might be exactly how my 2 year old daughter's first appointment will go. I have yet to be brave enough to take her. I think I'll have her sit in on her older brothers dentist visit first so she can get used to it. I wanted to pass along this Mom's Guide for caring for kids teeth. It has great ideas on how to keep our kids teeth healthy & even make it fun. I hope you find it helpful. http://www.1dental.com/moms-guide/