Saturday, January 3, 2009

Finally...Our Christmas Eve!

Our unexpected trip to the pediatrician's office for Max on Christmas Eve morning kind of knocked me off schedule a little but I am so glad I didn't have any last minute shopping to do! This was the first year in I don't know how long that I didn't have to go out on Christmas Eve for something...YEAH!

Once we got home from the Dr. I switched into high gear! Lucy went down for a nap, Max and Abby wanted to lay on my bed and watch t.v., which was fine since Max was newly sick and Abby was still not back to 100% after the flu. Since my parents and sister Mallory were coming over for dinner I was cleaning like a madwoman. Not that my mom would nitpick or anything (seriously, she doesn't), but what is it about feeling the need to completely sanitize yourhouse when your mom is coming over? My mom is at fault for this quirk because she was the same way when I was younger...heck, she still does it! Don't get me wrong, I do clean my house even when I don't have company coming over but I usually try to do it in stages rather than all at once...driving myself completely crazy! Anway, I digress...

I planned to make a dinner in the crockpot to save myself some time since John was working until 5:30 and I knew having sick kids in the house...and a 1 year old...would not be conducive to preparing and cooking a meal later. I got the london broil and veggies in the crockpot right after lunch and continued my mission to clean. I stopped long enough to make an apple crisp for dessert as well...boy, if my house wasn't clean at least it was smelling GOOD!

Once everyone got here we got dinner on the table and ate. It was pretty good. I had a few too many veggies in the crockpot so we had to take them out and put them on a pot on the stove to finish them up...oh well, it was my first crockpot dinner.

Once dinner was over and dessert was eaten we started to clean up and realized that I was out of dish soap! UGH! We had used the good china and silverware for dinner and they have to be hand washed and I had nothing to wash them with...all the shopping...all the money spent...the lists of what I needed being carefully checked and rechecked...HOW COULD I FORGET DISH SOAP?

So the dishes were rinsed and neatly stacked...THANKS MOM! and my parents and sister went home. We got the kids in bed (after having to check the local tv station's website to track Santa ONE MORE TIME) and John and I proceeded to wrap presents! I usually do this by myself every year and stay up until at least 2 or 3 in the morning. This year John swore we wouldn't be wrapping on Christmas Eve but every night we planned to do some, a kid kept waking up sick and crying...so much for plans :)

John helped a lot and even had to make a run to the 24 hour gas station for batteries...OOPS again! We got to bed about midnight and hoped that the kids would sleep through until a decent hour.

We had a great Christmas Eve and my sister even brought some of her goodies that she made this year. She made yummy brownies with melted peppermints on top, white chocolate peppermint bark, sugar cookies, and the cookies with the hershey kiss in the middle...YUM! I swiped some before they left to put out for Santa since I wasn't able to get any baking done this year :( ...did I mention I had sick kids??????

Christmas post and pics to come soon...John's playing golf today and I want to try to get some more stuff done around here...

No comments: