Saturday, October 17, 2009

It's That Time of Year...

Before I got married, I was usually on the ball with Christmas shopping and would have it done by Dec. 1st. Since I have been married (and especially since I had kids), I find myself running out for last minute items on Christmas Eve and staying up until 2 or 3 in the morning that night to wrap everything. What happened?

Last year I was on the ball and everything was bought (not wrapped but at least bought) by the 20th. I swore I was NOT going anywhere on Christmas Eve because John had to work that day and I had to get dinner ready since my mom and dad and sister were coming over. HA! Well, I DID have to go out but it wasn't to shop, it was because we thought Max may have gotten the flu. Trip to the pediatrician on Christmas Eve...something else I hope to avoid this year :)

Anyway...back to my point...THIS year! My due date is December 20th. I have made it MY mission (and I dare anyone to stand in my way on this) to get my shopping DONE by the weekend after Thanksgiving (preferably before but I figure I should give myself some wiggle room). I also plan to have things wrapped and tagged by December 10th. I may be cutting it short but we'll see.

One of the reasons why I have alway waited until Christmas Eve to wrap is because I enjoy sitting on the living room floor while everyone is asleep with all the presents and wrapping paper surrounding me. I turn on the 24 hours of A Christmas Story and drink hot chocolate while I wrap. It's my tradition and John thinks I'm a lunatic but hey...I've done (and still do) crazier things :) Since I will more than likely be nursing a newborn on Christmas Eve (and as talented as I am with multi-tasking) I don't think I'll be able to continue that tradition this year. My fall back tradition is to watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and The Santa Clause as I wrap on any other night.

So, as I get my list(s) together and gear myself up for some shopping, wish me luck that I can meet my goal...because we don't want to see what happens if John has to do the rest of the shopping for me :) Hang tight Baby Girl...don't try to make an early appearance!

2 comments:

*Jess* said...

Wow, I am super impressed! I'm one of those last minute shoppers that doesn't even start until a week before Christmas. Sometimes the craziness adds to the excitement. Or, so I tell myself :)

Staci said...

You go, girl! I usually do all my shopping via the internet. I just can't stand all the crowds in the stores!