Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Unexpected Dr. Visit...

I had to take a little trip to my doctor this afternoon. This being my fourth baby, I have been experiencing Braxton Hicks contractions for a good couple of months now. Well, today they were stronger and there were a lot more of them. Since I ended up in the hospital twice while pregnant with Lucy for the same thing I really wanted to gop ahead and get checked out.

I was having some contractions but I am not dilated at all (WOOHOO!!!). My blood pressure was a record setter for me at 137/70. My top number has NEVER been over 120. The doctor was pretty confident it was from anxiety... what? ...me? ...anxious? ...never!

They hooked me up to the monitor for about 30-40 minutes and I did have some contractions so the doctor prescribed some Terbutaline for me to take on as as needed basis and sent me home (versus having to check in to the hospital for i.v. fluids and a shot of terbutaline)! I got the prescription filled and as I was waiting I was still having the contractions so I took one in the car at 5:30pm. Yeah, a little over 5 hours later my whole body feels like I have been shooting caffeine into my veins all day! I'm shaking like a leaf. I hope I can get some sleep tonight!

The doctor did say when looking at the strip from the monitor that the baby looks great and that at almost 31 weeks she looks better than some full term babies :) By the way she has been body slamming me from the inside and trying to chip off pieces of my right hip bone, I figured she was doing okay :)

I go back to the doctor next Friday the 23rd. The doctor did do a fetal fibronectin test just to make sure I wouldn't be going into labor in the next couple of weeks. I got the call tonight that it was negative! YEAH, baby girl can cook awhile longer :) I asked the doctor that called me with the results about the shaking from the medicine and she said it is common and that when I take another one I might want to try to cut it in half and only take half to see how I do.

Please pray that this little one can stay in safely to term and that my blood pressure does not become a concern.

Also, please pray for Abby tomorrow. She is getting her extensive (and expensive) dental work done in the morning and will be sedated. Just a little more anxiety for mom :P

3 comments:

Staci said...

I hope everything's okay, and it sounds like it will be. I'm always so amazed when I visit here - how quickly the days are going by and the new baby will arrive soon! (Of course you might not feel like they're going fast enough!)

*Jess* said...

I'm glad the baby decided to stay in a bit longer!

Keena said...

I will be praying for you aned baby girl.... It all sounds like normal stuff to me.... I'm sure all things will be ok