Monday, March 22, 2010

Update on Sophie...

Remember when I posted about my niece Sophie and her enlarged lymph nodes (click here for that post if you haven't seen it).

Anyway, she headed back to the oncologist today for more bloodwork (she had a cough last time she was there so the dr. wanted her to come back). Anyway, her bloodwork came back clear! Praise God! The dr. did mention that upon looking at a smear of Sophie's blood she thinks she may have something called hereditary spherocytosis. Apparantly it is found in people of northern european descent (we're Irish and German). Anemia and gall bladder issues are symptoms of this and our mom has dealt with both of these. Sophie also had prolonged jaundice as an infant which is another sign. Check out my sister's blog for more info.

The dr. will have the official test done and if it's positive then she'll want to test my sister Shea and her other 3 kids. It isn't a serious matter but she wants them to know if they have it or not and what to look for.

We are all so grateful that Sophie is in the clear :)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO SOPHIE AND MACY ! March 23rd marks 3 years that these two sweet babies came into the world...10 weeks early :)

Also,

Today on Dr. Oz his show was about signs of cancer and questions people had about the different forms of cancer.
A coworker of my aunt Mary Jo wrote to the Dr. Oz show asking how people who have never smoked could get lung cancer (she was talking about my aunt). They showed a picture of my aunt on the screen. She was known as Sister Geraldine.

Check out the video clip from the Dr. Oz show .


4 comments:

Healthy Lifestyle said...

So, you ( the other ) do not want to stop smoking?????

Staci said...

To "Healthy Lifestyle", I'm sorry if my post was confusing. No, I do not smoke. Never have and neither did my aunt who got lung cancer.

*Jess* said...

I'm so glad the news was no cancer for Sophie!! :)

Kmama said...

Great news about Sophie!!

How cool that they showed her pic on the show!!