Thursday, August 19, 2010

"The Wheels on the Bus Go Round and Round..."

***** UPDATED WITH PICTURE*****
I was able to get a quick shot of Max and Abby getting off the bus yesterday! Fortunately for me they were the first ones off. They were sweaty and tired and grouchy from the heat and overcrowding on the bus (they had to sit on the bus and wait for another one to come to take some of the kids). Abby's cheeks were flushed but she looked up at me with her tired eyes when I asked her if she liked the bus and smiled and said, "That was fun Mommy"!

"Get me off this oversized furnace!"

***Original post***
I did a very hard thing this morning. I let go of my Kindergartner before I was ready.

Max and Abby insisted yesterday that they wanted to start riding the bus to and from school starting today. I had hoped to take them and pick them up this week then let them start riding home next week then the following week they could ride in the mornings too.

They had their own ideas. Abby was so excited to ride the bus this morning and as I put her on the bus she was biting her fingers and I was sure she was going to turn around and latch on to me. Nope, she kept walking up the bus steps.

If it wasn't for Max being right behind her and assuring me that he would sit with her, walk her to her classroom, and look for her to get on the bus this afternoon then she wouldn't be going on the bus.

I guess I have to let go sometime right? Max didn't ride the bus AT ALL his Kindergarten year. Their school shares the buses with the 3-5th graders at the Intermediate school right next door...meaning they are all on the bus at the same time. I didn't want my baby being on the bus with all those big kids!

I FINALLY let him start riding it last year around October...he wouldn't stop begging! Also, the bus driver is AWESOME! Abby and Lucy would sit on the front steps last year and wave to the bus as it came by. The bus driver would always wave to the girls and would say, " Good Morning Princesses" :) Also, whenever she gave the kids on the bus a treat (Halloween, Christmas, End of the Year) she always gave Max two extras to give to the girls...such a sweet sweet lady. We have the same bus driver this year so that was a huge load off my mind!

But...I wasn't ready for Abby to want to go on the bus yet. I'm not ready to let go that much yet.

This morning when I had to let my baby girl go and watched her climb on the bus like the little Miss Independent she's always been...I cried (after she was on the bus and they drove away of course).

John saw me crying when Lucy and I walked back home and gave me a kiss before he left for work. He laughed at me and told Lucy, "Mommy's got issues" :)

Yeah, I'm a dork ;p

I can't believe I forgot my camera. If I can get one of them getting off the bus this afternoon I'll put it on here later. If it weren't for Lucy and Ruby being here I might be sitting at the bus stop all day waiting for them to come home...yep...Dork with a capital "D"!

2 comments:

Kmama said...

Aww, poor mom!

Our elementary schools were K-6th grade last year (this year, the 6th graders move to middle school), so yeah, BIG kids with little kindergartners. However, on our bus, the K's have to sit right up front, so they do keep them separated.

I hope you can get a pic!

Two Little Lambs said...

Oh, I know that must have been hard! I would have bawled like a baby. They grow up WAY too fast!