Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Ball Games and Camping and Play Dates...oh my!

This past weekend was jam packed with stuff to do. John took Max and Abby on their annual camping trip with our neighbor and his son. They don't go far...the KOA on the other side of the highway from our neighborhood :)

They do sleep in tents though and have big campfires and coook out on the grill. The electrical outlet that supplies the power for the portable Sirius satellite radio to hear the college football games? Doesn't exactly qualify as "roughing it" but we'll give them that much :)

Anyway, I took the kids to the campsite to meet John there since he had to come straight from work and get the tent set up before it started getting dark. Once it was up and they started talking about getting dinner going, Lucy and Ruby and I hightailed it out of there and went to get some dinner of our own. Fast food, yes, but it was to help Lucy not feel so bad that she wouldn't be getting to sleep in the tent and the "campsite". Are you kidding? John would get a ticket for her breaking the noise ordinance if she started her scraming in the middle of the night!

Anyway, Saturday morning Abby had a soccer game at 9 and Max had a football game at 10. The "little girls" and I met them at the field. Afterwards we got some Chick-fil-a for lunch and John wanted to eat lunch at home so he could get a shower (once again, a reason they stay just across the street).

When John was ready he took Max and Lucy back to the campsite (Lucy was just hanging out for the afternoon). Abby had been invited to a "Getting to Know the Girls in the Class" playdate from one of the girls in her class from 2-4. I took her to that where she had an AWESOME time on the jump castle, decorating her own little pumpkin, having cupcakes, and just screeching like a girl...and then back to the campground where Ruby and I hung out for about 45 minutes then loaded up with Lucy, picked up dinner, and headed home.

Lucy was really upset that she wasn't staying the night at the campground again so I asked her if she wanted to sleep in my bed with me. She was so excited. We snuggled together and were watching tv when about 20 minutes later she looked at me and said, "Mommy, I'm tired. Will you put me back in my bed?"...so much for the slumber party :) As I laid her down in her bed she snuggled in and got "cozy" (as she calls it). I gave her a kiss and she looked up and said, "Get a good night's sleep mommy".

The campers made it back home at about 10ish. Tired, happy, and smelling like campfire smoke (not my favorite part of their trips...the stinky laundry). Showers were had, lunch eaten, and a quiet lazy day. John and I had originally planned to hit the pumpkin patch that afternoon but due to the state of exhaustion...there would have been meltdowns for sure!

Unfortunately we didn't get any pictures of any of the events :( I wasn't at the campsite long enough to take any and even if John had the camera...he's just to busy to think about taking any ;p

Lucy swears she's sleeping at the campsite next year...I think John's going to need a much bigger tent :) He promised her he'd do a practice "campout" with her in the backyard soon...


1 comment:

Kmama said...

Sounds like fun. Well, not for me, but for the kids. I hate camping with a passion. I'm just not a camper.