Friday, October 29, 2010

Finally...It's Lucy's Turn!

For the past 3+ years of her life (ummmm, since she was a month old), Lucy has always attended Max and Abby's class parties at their school. If I went, Lucy was there too. Of course, it wasn't HER party and the snacks weren't for HER. Don't get me wrong, there was always enough for younger siblings to share as well but it just isn't the same when you aren't a part of the class.

Wednesday was different. It was FINALLY, Lucy's turn to have a "party"! I can't tell you how excited she was when I told her that she was going to get to wear her Halloween costume to school to walk in a parade THEN she was going back to her classroom for a party! Her excitement involved throwing her arms up in the air, dancing around and shouting "Yahoo!"

So I go her dressed in her costume (she has to be THE cutest Snow White I have ever seen) and we headed to school. She almost didn't want me to leave her in the room but I told her I had to go outside and wait on the sidewalk for the parade.

Those 2 year olds (Lucy is the oldest in her class at 3), were SO CUTE! The marched down the sidewalk and the parents were lined up with cameras and video recorders like the paparazzi! The kids got a kick out of it :)

Lucy on the other hand didn't crack a smile. Nope. Not my kid. She had her finger in her mouth most of the time and wouldn't look up at me either. She didn't wave like she said she would on the way to school. Lucy will talk a good game but the moment she's in the spotlight she's like a turtle crawling into her shell.

This is Lucy during the parade. No "Yahoo's" going on here!

Yes, Snow White is sporting green crocs :)

This was the photo op after the parade.
"Now where did those silly dwarfs go off too?"
Immediately after the parade we all headed back to the classroom for their Fall Party. It consisted of Cheez-its, fig newtons, and grapes with juice boxes. By 10am all the parents were heading out so the class could get on with their day. Lucy wasn't too sure she wanted me to leave again. She didn't talk at all except to say "candy corn" when I pointed to her napkin and asked her what was on it.
She has spoken exactly 3 words to her teachers since her first day of school almost 2 months ago. She won't talk to me either when we are in the classroom together. Abby was a lot like this when she was in the 2 year old class so we are hoping she'll snap out of it soon. I keep trying to reassure Lucy that it is okay to talk to her teachers and her classmates. They want to play with her and see how smart she is. I guess it'll come sooner or later. I have told her teachers to watch out once she does start talking because she won't stop! They are looking forward to that day (be careful what you wish for...)

She refused to look at me even after I said her name about 50 times!

I moved to the other side of the table to get her to look at me.
Yes, she is picking Cheez-its out of her teeth...
aaahhh such a classy southern girl we are raising, I know :)
So now Lucy has had her first official "school" party. My baby is growing up so fast. I look at Ruby (another baby that is growing up WAY too fast...don't wanna talk about it :P ) and I think how Lucy was "just" that little.
I'm not ready for all this, but I am excited about it at the same time. I can't wait to see what amazing things these kids of mine are destined for but I don't want it to come too fast. What does God have planned for them? I just pray that John and I are able to do our parts in getting them where God wants them to be.
*** Sorry if this doesn't look very neat. Blogger wouldn't leave the spacing between my paragraphs the way I saved them. Tried ten times to edit and it kept posting the way it looks now..grrrrrrr....

No comments: