Friday, June 20, 2008

White Shoes and a Pink Dress

Potty training seems like it goes on forever in my house. Maybe that's because the kids are so close in age that by the time I get one done it's time to start rolling with the next one (that was not a reference to toilet paper!) Anyway, for some reason going #1 is not a problem once they get the hang of it. Abby was ready to do it before I was ready to start training her! The problem lies with the poop. Why some kids are terrified of pooping in the potty is beyond me. Yeah I know the psychological bit about it being a "part" of them and they are afraid of losing it. Give me a break. Both of them did it just fine on the potty the first three days of training then all of a sudden decided they would fight it. Personally I think it is purely a control issue:) The kids like to see us beg and plead and bribe. We even promised Max the biggest fire truck we could find if he would poop on the potty. Nope, nothing. He would say, amidst all the screaming and crying, "I don't need one".
Anyway, the purpose of this post... Abby was following the same path as Max. She would refuse to go on the potty or even sit there as I went to get a pull-up. I finally told her that when she turned three she would have to start going on the potty because I wasn't going to buy any more pull ups. Everytime I would change her dirty pull-up I would ask her when she was going to go on the potty and she would say, "When I 3". My mom decided to encourage her to maybe start a little early by telling her that when she starts going poop on the potty like a big girl she would take her shopping and buy her some new shoes and maybe even a new dress. Abby decided that they would be white shoes and the dress would be pink.
Well guess what? Abby must have had an early birthday because yesterday she pooped on the potty! We were at Max's Vacation Bible School and she told me she had to go. I told her I didn't have a pull-up and asked her if she wanted to sit on the potty (of course preparing myself for the fit about to happen) and she said, "okay!" After I picked my jaw up off the floor I took her thinking that any moment she would turn around and say she didn't really have to go. That little turkey sat on the potty and after a couple of minutes of talking and pushing she WENT! She was so proud of herself and I cried...over poop! She has decided she is a big girl now. We had to call daddy of course. When I told my mom she said when Abby keeps doing it she'll take her to buy her dress and shoes. She went one more time yesterday and then again this morning. After she went this morning the first words out of her mouth were..."I get white shoes and a pink dress!" Get out the debit card Nana...this girl is ready to shop! :)

No comments: