Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Has It Been A Year Already?...

My beautiful sweet Lucy celebrated her 1st birthday yesterday! I can't believe it...where has this year gone? I am having a particularly hard time letting go of my "baby" now that she is offically a "toddler". I have been very emotional about her birthday for the past couple of weeks and all the "big girl" stuff she is doing now.

Well, she hasn't had her 1 year checkup yet but I had to take her to the doctor this past Monday for what I thought was a bad case of eczema and what the nurse thought over the phone could be a possible milk allergy...YIKES! Turns out it is some kind of viral rash that may take up to 14 weeks to clear up...UGH! NO MILK ALLERGY THOUGH! Anyway, they weighed her and she came in at a whopping 20 pounds 10 ounces :) So needless to say she got to turn her car seat around on her birthday and start riding forward facing. When I first put her in the car she just kind of looked around and enjoyed the new view. She really seems to like riding the new way and doesn't seem too upset about not being able to see Max and Abby as well...maybe it's because she can see Mommy now? :)

She still only has two teeth and I swear that is all she'll ever have! She has gone through a few spurts of crankiness and drooling and I was convinced she was going to get a tooth ...nope...nada...nothing. She certainly doesn't let it stop her though from enjoying her food! She just gums it to death or pushes it down onto her two teeth until a piece breaks off. If she doesn't get any more teeth by 18 months I'll be taking her to get fit for dentures.

Lucy is a major chatterbox! When Abby was born I was worried that she may not talk much until she was older because Max talked so much. I was worried for nothing...same goes for Lucy. I think she probably talks as much as Max and Abby combined now! She says a few words really well and gets close with a few others. Her current favorite word is "Daddy". She says it clear as a bell. She also says "Mama", "Nana", "Papa", "doggie", "ba-ba" (bottle or her "bobby"), and my favorite..."stinky" (she wrinkles up her nose when she says that one). She also tries to say "cookie", "please", and "kitty". Otherwise she squeals or grunts or screams or reaches for what she wants.

In keeping with the tradition of the children in this family (walking by their 1st birthday)...Lucy has started to walk! This past weekend, John and I sat on the floor with her and helped her get started and she would walk back and forth between us! We have kept practicing with her and now she will actually let go of something and try it on her own. She has taken some headers into the floor but sits up and laughs at herself and wants to do it again! Give her a couple of weeks and she'll be in line with Max and Abby running around the house! This morning I had her walking from me to Abby and I thought I should dress her up as a baby Frankenstein for Halloween because she takes the stiff legged steps and holds her arms straight out :) Too Cute!

We had a party planned for this past weekend and my sister Mallory made some beautiful invitations but it didn't work out so my dad made a wonderful dinner last night and I took the teddy bear cake I made for Lucy to their house and we had a small "party" with John and I and the kids and my mom and dad and their neighbor Carol. Lucy grabbed at the cake right away and did all 1 year olds proud by making a huge mess of herself AND the cake! She also showed off her walking skills since she had a fresh audience :)

We borrowed a video camera from our neighbors and I will try to see if I can get a clip on the blog. If not, I'll get some pictures up this weekend.

Monday is her 1 year visit so I'll post more stats at that time. Sorry for the long post...

No comments: