Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Many Thanks...

John and I decided that it would be best if I went to Indiana alone to go to my Grandpa's funeral. I flew up on Monday and I met Shea and Mallory there. We had a late dinner waiting for us at Uncle Bud and Aunt May's house...THANKS for the GREAT GRUB :) Tuesday was the viewing so we headed over to Ferdinand where my aunts, uncles, and cousins were staying and hung out with them until it was time to go to the funeral home. I never realized how many cousins my dad has :)...I don't think he did either :) I have always known that my Grandpa was a kind and loving and thoughtful man but to see the number of people who came to pay their respects was amazing. He touched so many lives. It was very comforting as well to have my Granny and aunts and uncles and cousins from the Kleeman side come to pay their respects. Thanks so much and I hope you all know how much you are loved. Although they may never see this blog, thanks to all the wonderful nuns and others who prepared food to have at the house, at the funeral home, and at the luncheon after the funeral...it was great.

Wednesday morning we went to the church early and after the entire family said our last tearful goodbyes, we laid my dear sweet Grandpa to rest next to my Grandma. The mass was nice and I learned more about my Grandpa than I knew before. I also realized that my dad is so much like his father in many ways...all the good ones :) The American Legion post provided military graveside rights which was tough to witness but deserving of this World War II vet who earned a purple heart. I am so fortunate to have been able to grow up knowing all 4 of my grandparents and although I didn't get to see them that often, I cherished every moment. I want my children to realize how very lucky they are as well to have such loving and wonderful grandparents...all 4 of them.

Finally, A GREAT BIG THANKS to Jack and Charlotte for coming down here to help John out so I could go to Indiana. I know John appreciated the help and I do as well. It means a lot and I know it wore you out :)

Coming soon...Lucy's 1st Birthday!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: