Thursday, August 14, 2008

To Sleep or Not to Sleep...That is the Question!

Yes everyone...we are that critical age now where we are trying to figure out whether or not we still need a nap during the day. No, I'm not talking about me unfortunately :) If it were me I'd be snuggled under the covers with my body pillow "Herbie" snoozing away. But I digress...no, I am talking about Abby. Three seems to be the magic number around here where little people seem to think they are too big to take naps. Max decided on his own that his naps were over when he turned 3 but he was tolerable during the day when he didn't have one. After a couple of weeks of no naps John and I figured he was right (didn't mean he slept any later in the morning though...Grrrrrr!)

Abby on the other hand...Bless her heart...REALLY doesn't want to take a nap and she hasn't been forced to for a few weeks now (except when we were at Shea's house...nap time was my only sanity). She does pretty well for a few days then seems to start losing her steam and becomes irrational and moody. She has not had a nap since last Saturday when she was with John and she fell asleep on the couch so she was in dire need today. As a matter of fact although she pitched a fit about NOT wanting to take a nap (only stopping her crying fit long enough to yawn) she fell asleep within moments of me leaving her room. The problem with taking a nap however is that she probably will not go to sleep until somewhere between 9 and 10 tonight regardless of how long I let her sleep. This is not conducive to spending any quality time with John in the evenings because if I don't sit in her doorway until she falls asleep then she pitches a fit and we risk everyone waking up (I think she's going through a separation anxiety issue).

I don't mean to sound like I am complaining (because I am so grateful that we were blessed with these beautiful healthy children) but sleep is a serious problem around here...and not because we have an 11 month old in the house. It's Max and Abby. There hasn't been a night in I don't know how long...months probably...that they have slept through the night without waking up or crying out in their sleep at least once. Most nights they are both doing it...at different times of course...so John and I feel like yo-yo's getting in and out of bed several times a night. Getting to sleep isn't the problem (with the exception of Abby napping)...it's staying asleep that our kids haven't mastered yet. I really feel strongly that if they got better quality sleep at night then they may be calmer during the day and the fits might start to disappear. I just don't know what to do to help them get the quality sleep (no I don't want to drug them). I've certainly been doing a lot of praying about it and I am sure we will be given a solution so I guess I just need to be patient. NOW I NEED A NAP! Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

No comments: