Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Big Foot Lives in My House!

This past weekend I noticed that Max's sneakers were about kaput and since his toes were looking a little smashed, John and I decided it was time for some new ones...for crying out loud, the kid doesn't tell us that his feet are hurting so how were we supposed to know that his little piggies were suffocating in there?

Rather than taking all 3 to Target to look for shoes when I wasn't sure if I could get them there I decided to stop on my way home from taking Abby to school Monday morning. Lucy and I found a nice pair of sneakers for a reasonable price. I couldn't remember for sure what size his old shoes were so I guessed at 13 1/2 xw (yes, xw means extra wide...yes, my son is 5 1/2 and has clown feet...yes, he has his mama's feet...ugh). Anyway, since Target does not sell shoes in extra wide I thought I'd be okay getting a 1 1/2.

Got them home and after Max came home we tried them on and he loved them. He said they were comfortable and even walked in them but when I checked to see where his toes were they were right at the top...not crushed but no more growing room left. Hmmmm...maybe I underestimated his size and we needed a 2 I checked his old ones and they weren't 13 1/2 like I had guessed, they were 1 xw.

I took him with me to my Weight Watcher's meeting last night so we could go to Target and exchange the shoes. I really only needed his feet but the whole kid had to come for that :) We had some good Mama/son bonding time. I am SO GLAD I took his feet with me because I was able to have him try on the shoes. They did not have a size 2 so I grabbed a 2 1/2 thinking he'd just have a little extra room...nope, still too small! We had to get my baby boy a size 3!!!!!

I'm trying to tell myself that because they don't have the extra wide widths that he needed the bigger size to compensate...yeah right. I'm also trying to NOT feel too guilty for my not knowing that my son's size 3 feet were being stuffed into size 1 shoes! What I did do was make sure we got lace shoes instead of velcro because that boy is going to learn how to tie his shoes by golly! I learned in Kindergarten and so will he! He did say it would be easier to just wear velcro...I agreed but said it wasn't going to happen.

He said Grandpa wears velcro shoes...I told him that Grandpa knows how to tie shoes and practiced for a long time (love ya Jack) so now he can wear velcro shoes! Anyone know a debate team I can sign this kid up for? He's good!

No comments: