Monday, November 30, 2009

Our Thanksgiving...

WOW! I can't believe Thanksgiving is already over, the leftovers are pretty much gone, and December starts tomorrow!

We stayed home this year since my due date is so close and John's parents drove down on Thursday to join us. I did most of my grocery shopping Tuesday night then picked up some last minute items Wednesday night at another store. I got the kids Chick-fil-a for dinner Wed. because I was going to start preparing some turkey day food that night and didn't want to add to my work load :)

Wednesday night I was able to get the dressing put together as well as the sweet potato casserole. I had to make a Target run that night so my cooking didn't get any further.

Thursday morning I got up and was on my feet for pretty much the rest of the day. I made the cranberry fruit conserve (real cranberries people...not that jellied stuff from a can), cupcakes (to celebrate my mother in law's birthday (the kids got to decorate them), apple crisp, and the turkey went into the oven. When he was done I got the stuffing and sweet potatoes and green beans (with caramelized onions and sliced almonds) done and I think we ended up eating at about 5:30.

John's parents stayed at a local hotel and took Abby with them Thursday night so she could spend the night with them. John and I let Max stay up until 9 to watch the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving and Mayflower specials that were on t.v. I also spent some time sitting with my feet up and the heating pad on my back (got a pulled muscle in my back from all the late night episodes with Lucy over the past couple of months).

Friday, John's parents and John took Max and Abby to the Fire Museum and Lucy and I stayed home. I had thought about doing some Christmas shopping on Friday but I didn't want to take Lucy with me since she hadn't slept too well the night before. I didn't think a toy store on Black Friday would be the place to test her staying power! She went down for a nap after lunch and everyone else came back but I was not feeling very comfortable by that point so I didn't make it out. Friday evening we had an early dinner and then we piled into the car with our warm clothes and jackets and a bag full of graham crackers, marshmallows, and chocolate and headed to the Festival of Lights at one of the county parks. It took us a while to get in the gate but once we did the kids were loving the Christmas Light displays! We finally got to a parking lot that wasn't full and were able to park and get out and walk around. They have these fire pits by the gift shops and you can roast marshmallows. So we made our s'mores then headed back to the car to drive through the rest of the park.

It was Max's turn to go to the hotel with Grandma and Grandpa so he went with them in their car and John, the girls, and I headed home. That night was a good sleeping night for Lucy (she didn't get in the bed until after 9) but unfortunately the same could not be said for me. I was awakened at midnight with a horrible case of heartburn. I usually head down to the couch when it hits so I can prop myself up. By the time it started going away at 2:30, the contractions started. They were coming at about 10-12, then 8-10 minutes apart. I tried walking, laying down, drinking water, and sitting up to see fi they would go away and they still kept coming.
Skip to 6am and John comes down the stairs with Lucy and I tell him what is going on...he only freaks out a little :) (and he wondered why I didn't wake him up to tell him what was going on). I went up to take a shower to see if that would help then laid back down on the couch. By this time John realizes that I have been up since midnight and sends me back up to bed to get some sleep. I slept until about 9:30 and the contractions had settled down. I still had them throughout the day but not as bad as they were during the night and not as close together either.

John's parents and Max came back to the house at about 10am. Then they took us to lunch for shrimp before they headed back home. I took a good nap after I put Lucy down and was able to avoid watching Clemson temporarily forget how to play football against the Gamecocks! Yesterday I was finally able to get to Target and pick up a couple of things but it was basically a hang out/chill out day. My parents made it home safely last night from Indiana :)

So now it is Monday and the kids went back to school and I have had sporadic contractions throughout the day. Nothing quite as intense as the ones Saturday morning but hopefully when I go for my checkup on Wednesday I'll find out that this weekend was productive in more ways than one :)

So now we are on the countdown to Christmas. I have just a couple of gifts left to get and then get them all wrapped before our biggest gift of all arrives...anyday now :)

3 comments:

Kmama said...

Your blog reminds me so much of two years ago. I had contractions on and off all day that Thanksgiving, however, mine were NEVER productive (I had two c-sections because as my OB said, NOTHING could make my cervix dilate). In less than two weeks, we'll be celebrating Buster's second birthday.

Staci said...

I'm getting anxious, so I KNOW you are! What a fantastic present you'll have!

jules said...

Wow, now that was a full Thanksgiving for you.

Hope your doc appointment goes well...pretty soon.