Sunday, May 24, 2009

You break it you buy it...

Unfortunately, all the stuff that is breaking is stuff we have already bought...a few years ago! We just had the pleasure of investing $600ish in my car between an oil change on Thursday and a new radiator, new thermostat, and new cooling switch on Friday! I realized there was something wrong on Thursday afternoon when I was sitting in the carpool line at Max's school and happened to notice some puffs of smoke coming out from under the hood. I happened to look at the temperature gauge and it was sitting in the "red zone". I was a little stressed out trying to talk to the guy at the shop where they changed the oil and having to turn off the car every time I inched up in line. He advised me to take it straight home and not drive it the rest of the day and bring it back int he next morning. Great. Friday. Abby's class party at 10am. grrrrrrr.....

Got there Friday and "Joe" was right there popping the hood and looking it over. After we figured it was going to be awhile John came and picked us up (Max was with us as well because he wasn't feeling well so I kept him home from school). We dropped Abby off at school, along with the food I was supposed to bring for the party. The we drove John backl to work about 30 minutes away and straight back to Abby's school for the party. BUSY DAY!

Our next breakdown was the motherboard in our computer. This also happened on Friday...yeah, I know, bummer day! John took the CPU to visit our friends at The Geek Squad yesterday and that was their diagnosis. UGH!UGH!UGH! Either we invest in a possibly pricey repair or a new computer. We are thinking it may just be a new computer.

Fortunately, we were able to get "away from it all" for a day or so and come to Kiawah to my sister and brother in law's house to visit with them. Max and Abby and Lucy had a BLAST in the pool and playing with their cousins! John was a sweetie and took Max and Abby home with him tonight so I could stay and get a "hopefully" decent night's sleep. I still have Lucy here with me but I'm thinking she'll sleep good...she played HARD today :)

So, it may be a few days before I can post again. It's going to be strange not having a working computer at home. I guess you don't realize how much you depend on something until you don't have it available to you. Kind of like when you lose your cell phone or the battery dies on you.

One thing I am actually doing and it hasn't been that hard...realizing that they are only "things" and not that important in the grand scheme of things. As I told John, I'd rather my car, computer, phone, DVD player, etc. break down than one of us or the kids. We are healthy...and I'm thanking God for that everyday.

No comments: