Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Our 4th...

We had a great 4th of July holiday. John was off on Friday so he took Max and Abby to the beach during Lucy's nap so I could clean. Saturday, Lucy and I went to do the grocery shopping... last minute I know but I hadn't decided until then what we were going to eat! When we got home it was time for her to take a nap and I got to work on the cooking. Once I got started I couldn't seem to stop myself! I made potato salad, deviled eggs, broccoli cole slaw, chocolate chip cookies, peanut butter cookies, and shucked corn for grilling. John had marinated the chicken already so we were good to go.

John's parents arrived at about 1:30 and my parents came later. We cooked out and since it was a nice evening we decided to eat outside...well, some of us did. Abby heard the popping of firecrackers and decided she was coming inside to eat :) She came out after awhile and I gave the kids their poppers and sparklers to enjoy. We also had some confetti "poppers" which were a hit!

Once it got dark and the real fireworks began around the neighborhood John took Max and Abby to the neighbors to watch them. We weren't sure how they would do because they have always been afraid of them in the past. They LOVED them! It was tough to tear them away which is why they didn't go to bed until after 10pm! You'd think this would mean they would sleep in late the next morning...HA! You obviously don't know MY kids very well :) They were up at about 6am...sigh.

I would say a good time was had by all and Max and Abby have learned to appreciate the beauty...if not the noise...of fireworks. Hope you had a great 4th!

Grandma and Grandpa...aka Charlotte and Jack...enjoying a sparkler :)

Lighting up...

Papa (my dad) helping Abby pop the confetti from her popper.

Lucy and Nana (my mom). I think the sparkler had a very hypnotic effect on Lucy :)

She really was enjoying the sparklers even though she looks like she's cringing in fear :)

No, he wasn't trying to land a 747 in our back yard!

Loving the sparklers :)

No comments: