Monday, November 17, 2008

Rules Shmules!

I realize that rules aren't always fun or easy to follow but most of them (I'll admit probably not all) are created for a reason. By the time one reaches adulthood you'd think that they would have learned how to follow them...for the most part. I have always been a rule follower. I am not a huge fan of "better to ask for forgiveness later than permission now". I like to have permission because I just don't like to break the rules. If one person does it then everyone else will want to do it and then what do you have?...chaos, mayhem, craziness?

Okay, Okay, I'll get to the point. I am getting extremely frustrated and aggravated by the audacity of some people at BOTH of my kids' schools who think it is okay for them to cut into the carpool line. I mean, seriously! Didn't they learn in...uh...kindergarten that it is not cool to cut in line? At the beginning of each school year, the director of the preschool where Abby goes has spelled out what street to turn on to get in the carpool line. There are even maps! Wow, imagine that, someone telling you where to go so you don't cut off about 20 other cars that have been sitting patiently in line waiting to pick up their child. Guess what, about 20 other people didn't get the message apparently. Ev-er-y-day, at least 2 or 3 cars can be seen turning into the carpool line from the street we rule followers have to cross to get to the school. Do they seriously believe that the rest of us who followed the rules don't have a life that we need to carry out so we can sit in the line a little longer? Don't they hear the screaming baby in the back seat of my car because we aren't moving and she's bored? UGH! Yeah, my life would be easier if I scooted in front of everyone else so I could get my child sooner but I couldn't be that rude. Oh yeah, they even remind people in the school's monthly newsletter about not cutting in line...hmmm.

Same thing happens at Max's primary school. The carpool line actually goes in a loop around the front of the school. The first time I saw it I was in utter disbelief that someone would have the nerve to do this. A car passed by me and I assumed they were going to park in a parking spot and go into the building...uh uh. The drove around and ever no nonchalantly squeezed their shiny black mercedes between two other cars...AT THE FRONT OF THE LINE! Are you kidding me? School lets out at 2:40. I get there at 2:15 and there is already a line all the way around the loop and heading out to the front entrance. For someone to have the audacity to pass everyone else in line and cut in front of at least 30 other cars that have been there at least 30 minutes is beyond comprehension. Since the "black mercedes incident" I have seen many more try and some succeed on an almost daily basis. It is just plain rude. I know it is pointless to get worked up over something like this because people are going to do what they want to do...but hey, it takes my mind off the screaming baby in the backseat :)

No, the answer is not to be like one of "them" and go ahead and cut in line. I won't let those bad apples spoil the almost 37 years of rule following I have accomplished. Maybe I should make bumper stickers that say..."WARNING: I cut into carpool lines" and quietly stick in onto the back bumper of a shiny mercedes. Would that make me feel better? I don't know but it is becoming an epidemic. When I taught 1st grade I made those who cut in line go to the end of the line...hmmm...there's a thought.

1 comment:

Stacia said...

You and I sound very alike.
I too am not a rule breaker, yet I get so aggrivated when others continue to do so and get away with it.
I do think that the teachers who bring the children to the cars should tell those parents that do this that it's not allowed and their will be concequences somehow. What do you think?