Wednesday, November 12, 2008

What's In A Name?

Apparently Abby isn't that concerned. The other day I picked her up from preschool and her teacher informed me that Abby's mid year evaluation was in her folder. Then she proceeded to tell me that although she is sure that Abby knows her last name, she just couldn't get her to say it when she asked. Knowing their last name is on the checklist. Anyway, she said that Abby is just so painfully shy that she just couldn't get it out of her...although she did complete the other items on the list.
So, seeing for myself, I decided to test Abby myself...here's how it went...
Me: Abby, what is your last name?
Abby: I don't know.
Me: Yes you do silly. Your name is Abby ... (drawing it out waiting for her to finish)
Abby: A-b-b-y (spelling it)
Me: Well, that's how you spell Abby but what is your name after that?
Abby: I don't know. L-U-C-Y? M-A-X?
Me: That's Lucy and Max's names. Your name is Abby Kavanaugh ... (drawing it out again this time using the middle name)
Abby: (smiling) Bailey!
Me: Yes, Abby Kavanaugh Bailey. Now, what is your last name?
Abby: I don't know.
Me: Abby... (drawing it out yet again)
Abby: A-b-b-y! (spelling it...yet again)
After that I just told her that her last name was Bailey and made a mental note that she knows her last name but only after hearing it with her first and middle name :) Guess we'll work on that! When I mentioned this to Abby's teacher this morning she said that Abby might have said Kavanaugh to her but she was talking so soft she couldn't tell. Yeah, MY CHILD, talking soft! I think I need to bring her teacher home with me :)

A-b-b-y Abby!
Oh yeah, this morning, for the first time, this little 3 going on 13 year old said for the first time...
(insert valley girl accent here!)
OH...MY...GOSH!
(upon seeing Lucy's VERY runny nose)

No comments: