Monday, August 3, 2009

At It Again...

I truly do not know what came over me yesterday. I got the urge and just went with it. Yesterday morning I remembered that John had mentioned something about blueberry pancakes. I had thawed out the blueberries and I still had some left after making an apple/blueberry crisp Friday night (along with a homemade chicken pot pie). Anyway, I didn't want the blueberries to go bad so I figured why not?

I finally found my recipe for pancakes (not a box mix) and added the blueberries, then, just for fun, figured I'd also mash a couple bananas and throw those in too. They were pretty tasty :)

Then last night I caramelized some onions to go on top of our grilled burgers...John was in love with the onions!

After the kids were in bed I got the baking bug. Oh man, I couldn't seem to stop myself. I made dough to make cinnamon rolls then as that was rising I made 5 dozen chocolate chip cookies (from scratch)! After the cookies were done I went ahead and rolled out the dough and made the cinnamon rolls and the homemade icing to go on top! They turned out pretty good. I usually make a loaf of bread with this recipe instead of rolls so next time I think I'll cut a few minutes off the baking time (they weren't burnt but the bottoms were a darker brown than I would have liked).

My chicken pot pie on Friday night also had some adjustments made to it. When I did the shopping I couldn't find the phyllo dough that the recipe called for and just couldn't bring myself to take the kids to 1 more store for 1 thing. So John went after work and "couldn't find it". PLAN B: I told him just to get me two deep dish pie shells (I had made extra filling so it was in a casserole dish and not a pie dish). He comes home with 2 regular pie shells and I just could NOT get them to stretch enough. PLAN C: I busted out my two boxes of cornbread mix (no time to make it from scratch) and mixed it up and spread it on top of the filling. Turned out AWESOME and John decides he likes it better with the cornbread anyway...SCORE!!!

I think cooking/baking has become my form of nesting. John is taking advantage of it. He has requested I make shrimp and grits next weekend...and grilled bacon wrapped scallops. What does he think this is... FOOD NETWORK? :) I was thinking a cherry cheesecake would be good for dessert...

No comments: